Pets, and dogs specifically, can help alleviate anxiety, depression, stress and boost your overall mental health.
Playing with your pet increases your levels of serotonin and dopamine, providing a sense of calmness that reduces your anxiety. Even stroking and petting your dog alone can you lower your blood pressure. It also doesn’t hurt to know you have a loyal player in your corner that will forever love you unconditionally.
Before starting your journey to an improved mental health, you first have to choose the proper pup. Here are some lifestyle considerations from Honest Paws’ Comprehensive Guide to Finding the Perfect Dog Breed for Your Family:
What are your living arrangements?
- Small dogs that don’t require a lot of living space do better in apartments.
- Small dogs that don’t have a lot of energy are more beneficial for apartments.
- Shih Tzus, Malteses and Pugs make for great apartment pets!
Do you have children?
- The best breeds for children often need a lot of energy to play.
- The breed should not become over-excited or aggressive.
- Bulldogs, Beagles, Poodles and most Mutts make the best breeds for a household with kids.
What is you age?
- The best way to choose a dog for age depends on how much energy you have and your ability to care for the pet.
- If you have an active lifestyle, a big dog might be great for you.
- Smaller dogs are often better for those with older age since they are lower maintenance.
- Great dogs for seniors are Malteses, Pomeranians, Greyhounds and Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.
Are you a traveler?
- If you are a family or individual constantly on the road, a smaller dog may suit that lifestyle best.
- Yorkshire Terriers, Russell Terriers and Dalmatians make for the greatest travel companions!
Get your FREE PDF GUIDE: Finding the Perfect Dog Breed for Your Family